CALM - Course Outline
Career and Life Management is a compulsory three credit course, without which a student will not receive a high school diploma. You have the opportunity to get up to 3 other CTS credits as well as your other 3.
Well Being: Understanding of self, developing positive attitudes, nutrition, exercise, eating disorders, performance enhancing drugs, smoking, drugs, stress, and mental illness.
Careers and the World of Work: Completion of Individual Portfolios, letter writing, application forms, resumes, interviews, sexual harassment, exposure to different post-secondary institutions.
Independent Living: Preparation for living on your own, personal safety, banking, budgeting, insurance.
Human Sexuality: Sexuality, assertiveness, decision making, anatomy, personal health care, birth control, sexually transmitted diseases, sexual orientation, dating, violence, marriage – what make it work, legal considerations before, during and after marriage.
We will have a number of expert speakers that will cover a number of these topics.
Evaluation: Course is weighed equally on the above – 4 Units equally based on assignments and group work completed in class.
- Treat the space, visitors, and your classmates, and teachers the way you would like to be treated.
- Communication is the key to everyone getting along, and to your success. If you need something – Ask. If you are not sure what to do – Ask. If you need to borrow something – Ask. If you have difficulties – Ask.
- If absent, you are still responsible for completing course work.
- Progress Reports and Phone calls will be made regarding your marks and assignments.
- Assignments must be completed by the end of each unit. If not completed by the end of the unit a mark of zero will be given.
- Keep the space in good shape.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly.
- Strive for EXCELLENCE.
I will inform you before each project what the criteria are and the weight of the project is.
Have a great semester! Mrs. L. McCay